Sunday, December 2, 2007

The cover to Uncanny X-Men 138

Google'd more Byrne/Austin original comic book artwork and noticed that the original cover artwork to Uncanny X-Men 138 sold for $37,375.00 October 14, 2005.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), the Toy's R Us advertisement at the top of the cover really is part of my memory when I think about that cover, other than of course the image of Cyclops walking away from the X-Men with a bag slung over his shoulder. So when I see this original artwork with the banner ad at the top, it looks to me like something is missing. Regardless, this is a classic cover image. Easily one of the best and or most memorable covers in comic book history. Ok, maybe the cover to Uncanny X-Men 137 is more memorable with Phoenix and Cyclops battling on the moon. And then there is the Incredible Hulk 340 cover.. Or the cover to Daredevil 181.. Or the cover to The New Teen Titans 1... Or any number of Neal Adams Green Lantern covers... Animal Man covers stick in my head too... The Wolverine mini-series covers by Frank Miller... I also have a couple Batman covers that stick in my head too.

No comments: